Medical Error Prevention
Activity Release: 11/22/2017
Activity Expiration: 11/21/2021
The purpose of this CME activity is to meet the Florida Statute for healthcare providers to meet their licensing requirements on the study of root cause analysis, error reduction and prevention, and patient safety.
PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE GAP:
Florida State has determined that medical errors remains prevalent within healthcare and has made continuing medical education a requirement to enforce prevention measures for patient safety.
This CME activity is designed for physicians (MD), Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners, and Physicians' Assistants.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to:
1. Discuss the definitions of medical errors and the types of medical errors that occur.
2. Describe the history of medical error and the cost to healthcare delivery, providers, and patients.
3. Identify Joint Commission reportable events and which adverse incidents that must be reported to the Florida Agency for Healthcare Administration (ACHA).
4. Evaluate and discuss the most misdiagnosed conditions recognized by the Florida Board of Medicine and the Florida Board of Osteopathic Medicine.
5. Discuss what factors that Joint Commission requires to be included within a meaningful root cause analysis.
6. Discuss emerging areas of potential error and how the care of the provider can help patient safety.
* No Commercial Interest
* No relevant financial interest by authors, reviewers, or CME Committee Planners.
* No investigational products/products not labeled for use is mentioned within the enduring CME activity.
This information in this educational activity is provided for general medical education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a physician/clinician relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The viewpoints expressed in this CME activity are those of the authors/faculty. They do not represent an endorsement by Flagler Hospital. In no event will Flagler Hospital be liable for any decision made or action taken in reliance upon the information provided through this CME activity.
Adobe reader to access power point slides or appropriate software to view MP4 video.
DIRECTIONS AND HOW TO OBTAIN CREDIT:
1. Review presentation power point Adobe pdf slides OR MP4
Video slide presentation
2. After reviewing presentation slides, pass the continuing medical education post-test and evaluationwith a grade of 80% or higher.
3. Credits earned will be reported to CE Broker and certificate provided via interoffice mail or e-mail once post-test is processed by CME Office.
Flagler Hospital is accredited by the Florida Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Flagler Hospital designates this educational activity for a maximum of two 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Flagler Hospital is accredited for Florida Board of Nursing 50-664 for continuing education units.