PRACTITIONER IMPAIRMENT IN THE WORKPLACE
Activity Release: 09/25/2023 Activity Expiration: 09/24/2026
The purpose of this CME activity is to provide information regarding impairment of physicians and other licensed practitioners (APRNs and PAs) in the workplace. Included is emphasis on recognition and rehabilitation and not emphasis on punitive discipline. The goal is to aid physicians and other licensed practitioners in retaining or regaining optimal professional functioning, consistent with protection of patients.
PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE GAP: This CME activity fulfills Florida legislative medical licensing requirements for allopathic and osteopathic physicians, APRNs and PAs..
FACULTY: Celina Makowski, DHA, MBA, CHCP and Javeshia Melton, BS
CONTENT REVIEWER: Patricia D. Moore, PhD, RN
AUDIENCE:For the education of physicians, APRNs, and PAs.
At the conclusion of this CME activity, participants will be able to:
1. Describe the relationship of physicians’ and other licensed practitioners’ impairment on patient safety in a high reliability organization.
2. Discuss the factors contributing to impairment of physicians and other licensed practitioners in the workplace.
3. Identify signs of physical and cognitive impairment in the workplace.
4. Explain how statutory requirements impact impairment of physicians and other licensed practitioners.
5. Discuss the Florida impairment reporting laws.
6. Describe Florida treatment programs for impaired physicians and other licensed practitioners.
* Commercial Support: None * Faculty & Content Reviewer financial interest: None * CME Committee of Flagler Hospital: No relevant financial interest * Investigational products/products not labeled for use: None
This information in this educational activity is provided for general medical education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of the practitioner relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The viewpoints expressed in this CME activity are those of the authors/faculty. They do not represent an endorsement by Flagler Hospital, Inc. In no event will Flagler Hospital, Inc. be liable for any decision made or action taken in reliance upon the information provided through this CME activity.
It is the physicians’ and other licensed practitioners’ responsibility to understand and abide by the full text of specific Florida Statutes and Administrative Codes governing healthcare provider impairment summarized in the following slides. Links to the Florida Statutes and Florida Administrative Codes content are provided within the slides.
Adobe reader to access power point slides and internet browser (Chrome, Microsoft Edge, etc.) to access and complete the post-test and evaluation.
DIRECTIONS AND HOW TO OBTAIN CREDIT:
1. Review Practitioner Impairment in the Workplace presentation power point Adobe pdf slides.
2. Complete the following Independent Reading:
3. Pass the post-test with a grade of 90% and complete the continuing medical education evaluation. Click here for post-test/evaluation.
4. Credits earned will be reported to CE Broker once post-test/evaluation has been processed by CME Office.
UF Health Flagler Hospital is accredited by the Florida Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
UF Health Flagler Hospital designates this educational activity for a maximum of two (2.00) AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
UF Health Flagler Hospital is accredited for Florida Board of Nursing 50-664 for continuing education units. CE Broker #20-1110830.