Unlocking Patient Data to Avoid Information Blocking
Original Live Presentation: March 4, 2021
Webcast Release: March 9, 2021 Expiration: March 8, 2024
Activity Purpose/Professional Practice Gap:
The purpose of this continuing education activity is to provide an overview of the Information Blocking provision of the 21st Century Cures Act. The practical tips and suggested priority steps contained in this activity are intended for use as application tools to help healthcare providers meet compliance in the sharing of patient health information under the new rule.
Patricia Markus, JD| Partner, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP
This CME activity is for the education of physicians, physicians assistants, advanced practice registered nurses, anesthesiology assistants, and healthcare professionals with a need to understand the ONC Information Blocking Rule.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to :
1. Review what “information blocking” means by the Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) 21st Century Cures Act Information Blocking Rule.
2. Discuss how current data sharing practices may be problematic and which data sharing processes may require changing to comply with the ONC 21st Century Cures Act Information Blocking Rule.
3. Describe other situations that may be deemed information blocking.
4. Discuss the 21st Century Cures Act Information Blocking Rule compliance deadlines and which data sharing/documentation processes should be prioritized.
* No Commercial Interest
* No relevant financial interest by faculty or CME Committee Planners.
* No investigational products/products not labeled for use is mentioned within the enduring CME activity.
This information in this educational activity is provided for general education purposes only. The viewpoints expressed in this CME activity are those of the authors/faculty. They do not represent an endorsement by Flagler Hospital, Inc. and in no event will Flagler Hospital, Inc. be liable for any decision made or action taken in reliance upon the information provided through this CME activity.
Directions and How To Obtain Credit:
Technical Requirements: appropriate software to view MP4 video; Adobe reader to access handout. An internet browser (i.e. Microsoft Edge, Chrome, etc.) to complete the post-test and evaluation and various references for additional study.
1. Watch "Unlocking Patient Data to Avoid Information Blocking" MP4 video. Reference presentation handout here.
2. Pass the CME activity post-test with 80% or higher and complete CME evaluation.
3. References for additional study:
- a. ONC website:https://www.healthit.gov/topic/information-blocking
- b. ONC FAQ: https://www.healthit.gov/curesrule/resources/information-blocking-faqs
- c. OpenNotes:https://www.opennotes.org/
4. Credit earned will be reported to CE Broker. CME e-certificate available upon request.
Flagler Hospital is accredited by the Florida Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Flagler Hospital designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity is accredited for Florida Board of Clinical Social Work and Mental Health Counseling and Florida Board of Nursing 50-664 for continuing education units.