Moderate Sedation for the
Release: August 22, 2020 Reviewed: 8/15/2022 Expiration: August 21, 2025
Activity Purpose/Professional Practice Gap:
The purpose of this activity is to partially fulfill the credentialing requirements for physicians and clinical providers to be granted moderate sedation privileges at Flagler Hospital, Inc.
Patrick Ziemann-Gimmel, MD; Anesthesiologist
This CME activity is only for physicians, APRNs and PAs at Flagler Hospital, Inc. that are seeking or maintaining moderate sedation privileges.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to :
1. Define moderate sedation.
2. Discuss patient assessment and monitoring before, during, and after moderate sedation.
3. Discuss how to minimize risk management issues related to moderate sedation.
* No Commercial Interest
* No relevant financial interest by faculty or CME Committee Planners.
* No investigational products/products not labeled for use is mentioned within the enduring CME activity.
This information in this educational activity is provided for general medical education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a physician/clinician relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The viewpoints expressed in this CME activity are those of the authors/faculty. They do not represent an endorsement by Flagler Hospital, Inc. In no event will Flagler Hospital, Inc. be liable for any decision made or action taken in reliance upon the information provided through this CME activity.
Directions and How To Obtain Credit:
Technical Requirements: appropriate software to view MP4 video; Adobe reader to access handout. An internet browser (i.e. Microsoft Edge, Chrome, etc.) to access articles listed in 2a, 2b, 2c and to complete the post-test and evaluation.
1. Watch "Moderate Sedation" MP4 video.
2. Read the below practice guideline articles referenced in webcast video:
a. "Practice Guidelines for Moderate Procedural Sedation and Analgesia 2018 from Anesthesiology: https://anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org/article.aspx?articleid=2670190
b. "Practice Guidelines for Sedation and Analgesia by Non-anesthesiologists" from Anesthesiology:https://anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org/article.aspx?articleid=1944958
c. "Continuum of Depth of Sedation - Definition of General Anesthesia and Levels of Sedation/Analgesia" from American Society of Anesthesiologists:
3. Pass the CME activity post-test and evaluation with a grade of 92% or higher. A copy of the passed post-test will be forwarded to the Medical Staff Services Department by Medical Library/CME Department as proof of partial fulfillment of the moderate sedation credentialing criteria.
4. Credit earned will be reported to CE Broker and certificate provided via interoffice mail or e-mail once post-test is processed by CME Office.
Flagler Hospital is accredited by the Florida Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Flagler Hospital designates this educational activity for a maximum of one 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.